7/24/11

Sometimes the run doesn't even matter...

...what I mean is that my personal achievements are not always the only reason to get out there and run. I admit that the Undy5000 appealed to me primarily because I knew it would give me a fun creative way to dress a bunch of friends for a race. So our team name (Heart On) and our uniforms were doused in a bit of shock value:



And I think the heat index had us close to 100 degrees or something this morning. Our team of fourteen people (many of whom traveled 1 to 2.5 hours by car to get here) dressed in these funny outfits we made and came together to run 5k on the boardwalk in underwear.



We had three teammates who had never experienced a 5k race before. And there they were today wearing THAT and enduring THIS HEAT just because they had the will to do it! Think about how great that is. This silly fun idea turned into a great accomplishment. A great test that they all passed- they now know they can suffer through a run that totally sucks. Their next race is going to feel like a walk in the park! Do you remember your first 5k? That "wow, I can't believe I did that" feeling when it was over? I am so grateful to have been a part of this experience for these women. THIS is what running (and living) is all about, isn't it? If you know that something can challenge and improve you, it's only that much better when you can share it with others.

So one might wonder- how did I personally do in this 5k? Did I PR in this crazy heat? Did I decide to take extreme caution and walk? Am I still a bit shell shocked from lying in an ambulance after finishing a marathon just one month ago?

Well here's how I ran it:



I ran the whole course with one of my closest friends from high school. We only walked maybe a total of 4 or 5 minutes. I was impressed when I saw the clock ticking at around 37 minutes. With the high temperatures and the unfamiliarity of running on boardwalk and pavement (she trains on a treadmill) her goal was to finish her first 5k (in this miserable heat)in under 40 minutes. So there. We have it.

I didn't cross the finish line with her. While we were running we took turns passing and being passed by another teammate, Susanna. She joined the team about a week before the race. I don't know what her time goal was, but I do know that she ran the whole thing. After Dawn crossed the finish I turned around to head back and bring her in.

Susanna finished her first 5k in less than 39 minutes.

After that, I turned around again to bring our last teammate in. She was walking the course and her goal was to finish it in under an hour. As I was running out to meet her, a fellow marathon maniac and running club member saw me and asked what my finish time was. I was actually rather happy to tell her I didn't cross the finish yet. I ran about a mile out and met up with Tiffany who woke up at an ungodly hour and drove like 2 hours with her husband and 8 month old baby to get here. I do not doubt Tiffany's will and determination. It was hot and miserable but she was uncertain of making her goal time but quite certain that she would finish. We walked through the nice heavy downpour of water that the fire truck provided and saw the clock ticking at 56 minutes.


She finished right around 57 minutes and I crossed the finish line right behind her. This was my best 5k yet. A PR of sorts in a completely different way. These ladies kick ass. And will continue to do so and it all started with this race in underwear.

I need to give quick props to my middle child for running with the team. He finished in 34 minutes which is AWESOME given the heat advisory. (this is the second best part of this race for me) My hope as a mother is that he will take this will and determination and channel it into other things in the future.

And here's the third best part:



We won the best costume award! Sewing hearts on the underwear crotches and my husband's design, layout and heat pressing was time well spent. Amidst the glory of the first 5k-ers, we had one teammate place 3rd in her age group and 2nd on our team finishing at around 24 minutes, another teammate ran his 2nd race ever and finished in about 25 minutes (remember it's beyond hot out!) and our shoe-in teammate (who was recruited by Tiffany) smoked us all and finished in around 22 minutes. Aside from my son and me, we had another parent child duo on the team- proving that good habits are certainly hereditary.

I'll leave you all with one last disturbing photo. I believe the undy run provides an opportunity to remind us that there is no required body shape or size to just go out and have fun. Lack of chiseled abs and magazine page perfection need not stop you. Have fun while you are alive. Go do it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment